At Waste Paper Solutions we are always looking at new ways to reach out to local businesses in Kent. After all, we are situated on the Kent/Sussex border (just outside Tunbridge Wells) and have been looking after businesses in the county for over a decade.
People often search online for a reputable shredding company and can be disappointed or even confused by results. Which is the best shredding company for Kent based businesses? How do I know a shredding company will dispose of my waste securely? Do shredding companies have to be licensed? How much does it cost to have paperwork shredded? Do local councils offer any confidential waste disposal services?
Sadly, the answer to the last question is no. However there are options available to you, and you should know that is law that you employ a licensed waste disposal contractor to dispose of all commercial waste that you generate as a business. In other words, if you are not paying a licensed contractor to take away your waste paper you could find yourself being investigated by the Environment Agency and even fined.
So how do you choose a trustworthy shredding company? Firstly, there are no legal requirements to fulfil if you want to start a shredding company. Of course this poses the biggest concern for businesses looking for a secure way of disposing of confidential papers. It pays, therefore, to do a little research. You should ensure that the company you choose should meet all of the following criteria, not just offer the cheapest service;
- They are a licensed waste carrier. This is your first checkpoint. If you cannot find the company listed on the government website (link here) DO NOT USE THEM. It is illegal for a waste company to collect from you if they are unlicensed.
- Check they are well established. If a company has been operating for a long period of time this is usually (although not always) a sign that they are legitimate. A company that has no history could be a riskier investment.
- Check their referrals. If you can see plenty of reviews or testimonials from reputable sources then you are unlikely to be taking a risk with your sensitive paperwork. Online customer reviews and referrals listed on the companies own website can be checked for authenticity with a simple Google search of the company leaving the review. By offering a review service a company is confident in their own service.
- All paperwork and certification is provided. Time and again we hear from customers who are charged for Waste Transfer Notes. DO NOT PAY FOR THESE. As a waste carrier the company quoting to take away your waste HAS to provide you with waste transfer notes by law. Charging you for it is just cheeky.
It can be quite an alien process employing a company to dispose of your waste. It is not an everyday activity for most businesses and when a company starts trading this is usually not even on the radar of things that need addressing. But it does need to be addressed properly or you could find yourself in trouble. Here are some things you may not be aware of;
- IT IS ILLEGAL TO RECYCLE COMMERCIAL WASTE AT YOUR LOCAL TIP.
- YOU MUST DISPOSE OF ALL COMMERCIAL WASTE THROUGH THE CORRECT CHANNELS – ANY WASTE GENERATED AS A DIRECT RESULT OF YOUR BUSINESS IS CLASSED AS COMMERCIAL WASTE.
- IF YOU RUN A BUSINESS FROM HOME ANY WASTE GENERATED BY THAT BUSINESS IS CLASSED AS COMMERCIAL WASTE.
- IF YOU WANT TO DISPOSE OF COMMERCIAL WASTE YOURSELF (WITHOUT EMPLOYING A CONTRACTOR) YOU MUST REGISTER TO BECOME A WASTE CARRIER.
The best shredding companies in Kent will not only meet the above criteria but will actively help you to put a procedure in place to safeguard your business. They will be able to advise on current guidelines and regulations and will provide you with everything necessary to ensure you are operating within the law.
If you would like to speak to someone regarding your obligations or to asses your situation please call Waste Paper Solutions on 0203 086 7843. All advice is provided free of charge and without obligation.