We collect from a lot of businesses that shred their own paper before calling a shredding company to dispose of the ‘shreds’
The question is – Is it worth it?
SHREDDING YOUR PAPERWORK ‘IN HOUSE’ & DISPOSING OF THE SHREDS YOURSELF;
- Cost of office cross-cut shredder – £50 – £250
- Cost of labour – Indefinite – Staff rate per hour x number of hours spent shredding
- Proof of secure shredding to BS:EN 15713 standard? NO
- Recycle the shreds at your local recycling centre – ILLEGAL
- Bin the shreds with your landfill waste – ILLEGAL
- Proof of compliance with Environmental Protection Act? NO
USING A LICENSED WASTE CONTRACTOR TO SHRED AND DISPOSE OF YOUR PAPERWORK;
- Cost of collection up to 10 sacks – £45
- Labour cost to you – £0
- Proof of secure shredding to BS EN 15713 standard? YES
- All waste recycled at licensed commercial waste recycling centre YES
- Transfer notes to satisfy ISO standards and Environment Agency legislation? YES
Waste Paper Solutions are licensed by the UK Environment Agency. We shred all of your paperwork to the industry standard and recycle everything that we collect once it has been shredded. You receive confirmation of secure disposal and a transfer note for audit purposes to show that your business has disposed of it’s commercial waste using a licensed contractor (which also happens to be a legal requirement).
Buying a cheap desk side shredder might seem like a cost effective data security solution, but in the long run can you really afford not to shred it properly…?